Do you feel like you are tired all the time no matter how much you sleep or drink coffee? Do you wake up even more tired than when you went to bed? Do you depend on coffee or caffeinated drinks to keep you awake and alert during the day?
It’s possible that you are suffering from chronic or adrenal fatigue. Daily living causes much stress, which is not easy on the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands are the triangle-shaped endocrine glands that sit a top the kidneys. They are for regulating the stress response through the synthesis of corticosteroids like cortisol
and catecholamines like adrenaline.
Here are some of the symptoms that you might experience when the adrenals are tired:
•Excessive sweating or perspiration from little activity
•Light-headedness upon standing up
•Tired but wired feeling, poor sleep
•Low stamina for stress, and easily irritated
•Chronic infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, yeast)
•Dark circles under the eyes
•Low blood pressure
•Dry, unhealthy skin with excess pigmentation
•Negative response to thyroid hormone
•Cravings for salt, sweets, and carbs
•Lower back pain and/or knee weakness or pain, especially on the side
•Sensitivity to light, or difficulty seeing at night
•Lack of libido
•Excessive mood responses after eating carbohydrates such as pasta, breads, and sugar
•Low blood sugar
If you suspect you might have tired adrenals, address it right away. Consult your Doctor to find out if you are suffering from adrenal fatigue. Adrenal glands are extremely important to a healthy immune system and they are necessary for proper thyroid function.
Here are some tips to help you with your fatigue whether or not you have adrenal fatigue these tips can help you:
- Beauty Sleep is essential!! Make sure you are sleeping at least 8 hours (maybe even more if you are suffering from adrenal fatigue). Allow yourself to get enough sleep so your body can recuperate.
- Unplug at least 1 hour before bed. Try relaxing activities before bed like reading, yoga, meditation, journaling , etc.
- Do not eat before bed as it may cause insomnia. Your body will be busy digesting food that it may interrupt your beauty sleep.
- Eliminate sugar and processed carbs. Sugar and simple carbs (junk!) put stress on the adrenals. Adrenal glands help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Eat clean and whole foods.
- Curb the coffee habit and drink plenty of fresh, filtered water every day. Relaying on coffee or caffeinated beverages may cause more harm than good. Try drinking herbal teas instead.
Feel free to contact me if you’d like coaching to help address your fatigue in a healthy way. Sometimes good nutrition and sleep is all it takes to start feeling more energized. I can also help you regulate blood sugar levels that will help you crave less sugar and carbs which is beneficial to the adrenals. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my webpage www.mlcHealthCoaching.com.
I’m happy to help you in your journey to health and happiness!
Mayra L. Colón
Integrative Nutrition Health Coach